Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Right Time, Right Place: Eastern Kingbirds

*Insert grasshopper here

   Don't you just love it when you happen to be in the right place at the right time to witness something special? I'd just pulled up into our driveway and stepped out of the truck when I heard the tell-tale chatter of the Kingbirds. I heard them earlier in the day while I was out working in the yard, but I was never able to get a good look at them, they were always slightly obscured by tree foliage. I had brought my camera and tripod out anyway, just in case I saw them, and to warm up the lens so it wouldn't fog up as soon I brought it from the A/C cooled interior to the muggy as hell outdoors. And there they were, right over the driveway! I love Kingbirds (I love most birds, actually), they're so full of personality. Very talky too! I grabbed the camera, which was still right there in the garage and managed to get a few shots of the two parents feeding two juveniles before they disappeared back into the denser tree canopy. I hope you enjoy them...

The two juveniles, peering down on the clumsy human.

One of the parents, with what looks to be a grasshopper.

"I need one too!"

"Thanks mom!"

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it! Wonderful pictures and what a cute story. I've never seen a power line up close - so shiny and big (compared to his feet). Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These. Are. AWESOME. So jealous! Love me some kingbirds! I can't get over how patiently they appear to be waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos!! You got incredible action shots. Those hungry, hungry mouths to feed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody! This was one of those moments that remind me why I always need to have the camera nearby and ready to get those fleeting nature action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantistic! I don't think these are common in the Midwest, but I'm going to find out. Love watching the adults feed the juveniles, we've seen that a lot with orioles this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason- Oh WOW, you have Orioles?! I'll trade you a Kingbird for an Oriole, we've never had them here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome photos! I think we don't have those birds in Finland.

    Thank you for putting my bloglink on your side.

    Have a nice Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete