Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Camouflaged Looper, revisited

   As a follow-up from yesterdays post, here are a few more shots of the amazing Camouflaged Looper, the caterpillar form of the Wavy-Lined Emerald moth. Last night I went out to check on them, and just happened to see one in the process of decorating himself. I tried my best to get a few photos of the process, as you can see by their size in relation to the salvia flower, they are really small, maybe 1 cm long. It looks like his natural "skin" color is kinda tan-ish brown, here he's taking a green piece of the plant and sticking it to his back (somehow!).














1 comment:

  1. Yowzah! So these guys like salvia... have to go make an inspection! Somehow, I think my song sparrows might have already found anybody there was to find. But I'll check!

    ReplyDelete