Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Mystery Plant ID Help?


I managed to escape for a quick stroll through Green Hill Park this morning and was shocked by all of the herbaceous plants putting out new growth, on December 23! This has to be the warmest December on record, yesterday was 68 degrees! Anyway, I recognized all but this one and wondered if any of you plant experts know what this might be. It's growing at the base of a young (oak?) along the river, kinda shady, and the leaves are somewhat thick and almost waxy like a succulent. I'm in zone 7a by the way. I realize I'm not giving you much, but it just looks so darn interesting, I love learning new plants, and I can't find anything like it in any of my books.

Does anyone recognize this plant?


9 comments:

  1. Shouldn't you be wrapping presents or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen,
    Thanks, you're awesome! That's it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about Bloodroot. Probably not, but I like the name and it's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha,
    Thanks but it's definitely Hepatica, do a Google image search, you'll see. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, actually I should be wrapping presents. I'll get right on that, Jeff!

    Merry Christmas you two!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a very Merry Christmas to you as well Ellen Honeycutt of usinggeorgianativeplants.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh! Fall must be officially done. The new background looks wintery and icy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find Julie! Make sure you go back in the spring to see the flowers.

    ReplyDelete