Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Last Minute Christmas Ideas for the Wildlife Gardener



   Hurry, Hurry! Time is running out! Who doesn't need a last minute gift idea, right? Gardeners can be notoriously difficult people to shop for, especially since our passion is pretty much dormant right now. I came up with a few gifts that I would love to receive, except for the fact that I already have them!

Gift #1: The World's Best Leaf Rake Ever

Yes, I'm recommending buying a rake as a gift. I love my rake. I bought mine from Lowe's for about $14, the brand name is True Temper. It actually is clog free. Since we were committed to not using the gas powered leaf blower, we got a workout (in a good way) raking our yard to gather leaves to make mulch and compost with. Instead of being a chore, I really enjoyed the raking because I just kept thinking about the yummy leaf mulch my plants were sure to love.



Gift #2: Benjamin Vogt's book "Sleep, Creep, Leap"

I enjoyed reading this more than anything else in a long, long time. Especially since it's winter now, I enjoyed being transported into his backyard garden, laughing on one page and crying on the next. It's so cheap, only $5.99 at Amazon and they can deliver it in a jiffy. If not for someone else, buy it for yourself!
Sleep, Creep, Leap: The First Three Years of a Nebraska Garden
Image from Amazon.com

Gift Idea #3: For the big spenders out there...Pre-order a tray of plants from Prairie Moon Nursery.

What native plant enthusiast wouldn't appreciate more plants? Again, if not for someone else, at least treat yourself! You can now order a tray of 38 native plants to be delivered between May and July for only $98.00. You can mix or match up to four different kinds per tray of dozens of native wildflowers and grasses. I ordered one to try last spring and was very impressed with the quality, many of the plants bloomed the first year including Aster azureus and Solidago speciosa. I plan on ordering several trays this winter, Merry Christmas to me!

My tray of plants from this past Spring, aren't they awesome!

In case I don't get another post written before Christmas, Happy Holidays to you all and thank you for visiting my blog!


7 comments:

  1. Solidago Speciosa. Isn't he the Striker for the Spanish National team?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummmm. I have to wonder, is Julie a paid spokesperson for any of these items. Girl gotta get paid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...And for your significant other AKA "The Help", might we recommend a 250lb balled & burlapped Christmas Tree! Hernias to all and to all a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that rake and it really is clog-free! One of my favorite finds this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, I had no idea Prarie Moon Nursery had a mix & match program. What a great gift idea...for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie,
    Deciding which plants to get and then having to wait for it is hard, but soooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete