Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

My Birthday Prize List

   I've decided to post a list of the plants I picked up at Nature By Design, since this blog is partly a garden memoir. When I was there trying to decide what to to get, I put an emphasis on shrubs because trees were too big to fit in our vehicle, and perennials are somewhat easy to obtain through my usual method of procurement, mail-order. Native shrubs, on the other hand, are expensive to mail-order, and the specimen size is typically very small. Since I'm an impatient gardener, here was my chance to get some decent sized individuals. I went heavy on Viburnums since they feed both pollinators and birds. The numbers of each were based on whether or not I already had any, and trying to get pollination partners for berry production. I also chose tall species for the perennials and vines because I'm working on a green/living fence project. I've only managed to get a few things planted so far, because planting our Christmas tree took priority, which was so difficult (heavy), we may not do that again...

Hereby known as The Beast

Here's the list, drumroll please...

Shrubs:
1 Viburnum dentatum (Arrowwood Viburnum)
2 Viburnum lentago (Nannyberry)
3 Viburnum trilobum (American Cranberry Bush)
3 Lindera benzoin (Spicebush)

Grasses:
5 Andropogon gerardii (Big Blue Stem)
3 Panicum Virgatum (Switchgrass)

Perennials:
6 Pycanthemum muticum (Short Toothed Mountain Mint)
6 Eupatorium perfoliatum (Common Boneset)
3 Eupatorium purpureum (Sweet Joe-Pye)
3 Rudbeckia laciniata (Cutleaf Coneflower)
1 Agastache foeniculatum ('cus that's all he could find) (Anise Hyssop)

Vines:
4 Clematis virginiana (Virgin's Bower)
2 Parthenocissus quenquefolia (Virginia Creeper)

Not bad, eh?

5 comments:

  1. And here's my Christmas shopping list. (1) watchband. (2) bowtie. (3) brown wingtip oxfords. No wait, I was told to put back the shoes because we did not have room in the vehicle. (3) gift card. Oh well, maybe next year;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, you bought Clematis virginiana? I could have shipped you a box of it! How about a box of Viburnum acerifolium saplings ... some Calycanthus floridus?

    And I think I've got a pair of brown wingtips around here ... size 8 1/2?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too small but the offer is much appreciated:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A list I approve of. Pycnantheum muticum is one of my favorites for mass planting. I'd add 50 next spring if I could afford it. And the woods around here are full of Lindera benzoin, but they're all so big I can't conceive of transplanting any. I do have a few in the garden, and more will move in over time. The Eupatorium perfoliatum came in by itself, and it's moving around quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James- Thanks! It's good to hear that Eupatorium perfoliatum is a good spreader, I really love that plant. Color, texture, height, and winter interest, it's really got it all.

    ReplyDelete