Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

What Once Was Hidden...

...Now is found.


Back in the late Spring, I just knew we had a Robin's nest somewhere in this area. They're so sneaky. I really thought it was in a Cedar, just to the left from where this picture was taken. They were constantly flying in and out of the Cedar, but apparently they were using a bit of deception. I looked but I could never find it. I didn't want to get too close because it was their second nest, the first was not hidden well enough and was robbed by Bluejays, and sadly I saw it happen. Now that the leaves have fallen, I'm starting to see a lot of nests that I didn't know about, this one included. The Robins did a much better job hiding it, no wonder I didn't find it, it's built in a very mature Poison Ivy vine! Note the white berries. This nest was successful, I remember distinctly seeing the newly fledged Robins in this area.

Don't forget to take an extra close look around your yard now that the leaves have fallen, you never know what you might find!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, poison ivy - nice! That's a great picture and a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't care how "mature" your Poison Ivy is...I still don't like the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question: Is it considered o.k. to remove an old nest or will the same or other birds reuse the nest or nest materials? Also, did I use the word "or" too many times??

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...anyone,anyone Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the delay, Tina. If the nest is in a tree, leave it alone. It's doubtful anyone will re-use it but there's no reason to mess with it. No, you didn't use the word "or" too many times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not just "messin' with it".... I thought I might use it as a decoration in the house. Jeez, I'm not a 5 year old. ;)

    ReplyDelete