Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Salad, anyone?




   I would be remiss without giving a big "thank you" to my dad and my husband. This year I've begun expanding my repertoire from native plant/wildlife gardening to also include veggie and fruit gardening. Dad recently built me four (virtually) furniture grade cedar raised bed frames for me to grow veggies in. Seriously, these things are hardcore! He really should start a side business. Our soil is horrible, rocky, and shallow -and we have bermuda grass, so lined raised beds are really the best option. Jeff filled them with soil and compost, truly a herculean effort. I would still be out there shoveling, or in traction. Little old me just planted seeds and built the protection frames (for deer netting or greenhouse plastic). We have only installed two so far, but we should put the others in soon, maybe this week? I'd like to plant a cover crop crop in the second two, I've never done that before either but it sounds cool. They'll go in behind the first two, making it a square. I've planted lettuces, radishes, and sugar snap peas (I know it's late) so far, since they're easy fall crops. I'm also going to start some new herbs, then cover the frames with greenhouse plastic to see if I can keep them growing after it gets really cold. This is all quite new to me, so I'm really just experimenting now. Any way I can keep growing stuff and "gardening" in to the cooler months is a bonus!






6 comments:

  1. They ARE beautiful. What a nice family you have. Let me know what time dinner is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Julie forgot to mention, however, was the fact that as soon as the cage portion was completed, she looked on in horror as a dainty Cabbage white butterfly sailed in THROUGH THE NETTING and proceeded to lay a half-zillion eggs on her little sprouts :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job with the raised bed. Good luck with your veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Last week I mentioned to my husband that I'd like to have some kind of "boxes", so that I could grow lettuce among other things next summer. Your system is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck Julie with your new venture. You may inspire me yet, because although i love the idea of growing food it somehow seems daunting - like the cabbage white butterfly Jeff told us about!

    ReplyDelete