Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Sneaky Little Sphinx Moth

I don't know how he did it, but Jeff spotted this lovely creature on the woodpile last week. I wish I saw more of them, but I understand why I don't, their camouflage is incredible! This is the adult form of the hornworms we often see on our roses and vegetables, I can't bear the thought of considering them as pests. Please reconsider if you do! Or bring them to my house, they can eat all of my roses if they like. If you grow vegetables, consider planting a sacrificial cabbage and tomato, just to have a place to relocate caterpillars to. Sound ridiculous? Well I am!








6 comments:

  1. That butterfly? looks like a leaf or something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic pictures. I had no idea that's what a hornworm looks like when it matures. Does make you think of them differently ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everybody!

    And by the way, I think both Jeff AND the moth are wonderful ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful moth, but I disbelieve it's one from the veggie garden.
    I'm studying the silk moth site trying to find this beauty. Could it be a Eumorpha pandorus?
    Maybe you can use this page of Virginia sphinx moths to find your moth

    ReplyDelete