Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Termite Queens and Forgotten Dreams

   Today I would like to share two things I discovered over the weekend that I found extremely interesting. They don't directly relate to habitat gardening but do involve our endlessly fascinating natural world.
   The first was a story I heard on NPR as an offering for Mother's Day, a tribute to possibly nature's most prolific mother, the termite queen. I never thought I'd say this about a story about termites, but it's beautiful and intriguing. You can listen to it here: http://www.npr.org/2011/05/06/136028437/a-termite-queen-and-her-ultimate-sacrifice.
   The second thing I discovered was also as a result of a story I heard on NPR, it was an interview with filmmaker Werner Herzog about his new documentary "Cave of Forgotten Dreams". If you're even slightly interested in our natural world, art, history, anthropology, or science, I think you'll find this truly amazing. Here is a link to its info page on IMDB, where you can watch the official trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1664894/. Here is the link to the interview of Werner Herzog on the Fresh Air program: http://www.npr.org/2011/04/20/135516812/herzog-enters-the-cave-of-forgotten-dreams. It's about 33 minutes long but well worth a listen.
   I hope you find these enlightening and enjoyable!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,
    I heard Werner Herzog too, that was a great interview. Can't wait to see the documentary. Did you see the film he did about Antarctica?
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    I haven't seen the one about Antarctica yet, but I hope to. In fact, I don't believe I've seen any film of his yet. I didn't know about Werner Herzog's work until I heard the interview last week. I have some DVD shopping to do!

    ReplyDelete